Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sculpting Smokey

Well I finished him! Meet Smokey, the Addams' stuffed polar bear.



Some of you might be thinking "I thought they had a brown bear" OR you might be thinking "Ara must think everyone else watches the addams family episodes over and over like she does - I didn't even know they had a stuffed bear." Either way, you're right :) They did have a stuffed brown bear in season 1 of the show, but in season 2 they all the sudden had a Polar bear (which they eventually accidentally set on fire with a flame thrower). He is not to be confused with their polar bear rug on the floor (his name is Bruno).



I started with a wire frame covered in masking tape for bulk. Then I added clay over the top and sculpted to the best of my ability. I cooked him and then added paint and details on the base to make him look like a real piece of taxidermy. I thought about flocking him but the clay ended up looking really softish so I didn't want to mess it up with flocking.



He may only be 8 1/2" tall but as you can see below he has quite a presence in the mini world. I am so excited to be finally adding some Addams detail to the mansion! One less thing on the to -do list! Hooray!

15 comments:

  1. He is Awesome!!! What a great bear and he looks right at home in the Addam's Mansion.

    Hugs,
    Victoira

    ReplyDelete
  2. Te ha quedado precioso! Me encantan los Adams
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ara-he is incredible!!! I love him- great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, congratulations, perfect! kisses on the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smokey is perfect!!! And he doesn't need flocking..he looks very soft indeed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun blog--it makes me giggle! I'm so glad I found your blog today! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have inspired me to make a bearskin rug for my wee witch! You have a wonderful blog; I am glad I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog! I can tell that you enjoy working on your project as much as I love working on my wee witch house. Smokey is absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so much fun to see a dedicated to one theme houses.

    From Tyla @

    http://obscurecreationsbytyla.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Ara, this is awesome! With it being the big century birthday mark for our man Charles, I’ve been kinda dinking around the web looking at all things Addams and came across your blog. I’ve never studied architecture but I’ve always loved the intricacy and detail of miniatures, and the fact that you make your own is amazing. Especially given your subject matter! I’m just a huge fan of all things Addams, having recently picked up a collection of all the New Yorker cartoons they appeared in. Also, instead of watching the show on syndication, as a DISH customer/employee I’ve been watching the show at DISH Online, as they have over 125 episodes that I have free access to as part of my regular service. It’s pretty sweet to be able to go back and revisit my favorite episodes at my leisure. Anyway, love the blog and I’ve bookmarked it so I can watch your progress. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you everyone for your kind words... sorry I've still been absent for a while. But had to pop on today as it is Charles Addams birthday as Elias said :) Everyone go out and do something Ooky! -Ara

    ReplyDelete
  12. This has to be the best stuffed Polar Bear in Miniature history! Lovely lovely work, Ara!

    Got to ask my sister SuZ if she remembers a stuffed bear in Addams Family :)

    ReplyDelete