Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Addams Family: An Evilution (Book Review)


Hello All,

Well I am very honored to write this post. A publisher from Pomegranate Communications (click here for their website and purchasing info) contacted me about writing a review for a new Addams Family book after she found my blog!

She sent me a complimentary copy so that I could read through it. Oh boy... what a treat!! If you are at all interested in the Addams Family this would be a great book for your collection! It's entitled, "The Addams Family: An Evilution" by H. Kevin Miserocchi (Illustrations by Charles Addams...of course!).

Because of the new Addams Family Musical that just came out, this book was put together to reflect on the beginnings of this odd family. I have looked up a lot of information for my project but I found some things in this book I hadn't read anywhere else.

There are descriptions of each character as they were developed by Charles Addams, put together as a family, and notes on how he named and described each one for the famous Addams Family TV show.

A couple tidbits you might find interesting from the book: It talks about how the Addams 'Family' didn't really start as a family! They were all separate characters that ended up coming together in a beautiful way. This book will show you where they first showed up in Addams' work.


*My Morticia admiring a piece of furniture that she says must be in the mansion!

Another little tidbit..... the book explains the origin of 'Thing' (or 'The Thing') which I didn't think was in any of Chas Addams' cartoons.... but he is. But there's the secret! He used to be more than just a helping hand........


*Thing showing me that he did indeed exist in Charles Addams' cartoons. My bad, Thing.

And that's it... you'll have to get the book if you want more!

....Oh, duh, I forgot the best part! This book has some of the best of Charles Addams original cartoons. I can't tell you how page by page I was gaining more and more inspiration for my project! There are more cartoons than words so don't think this sucker will take you long to read..... but you might be caught up for hours looking at the beautiful illustrations!

And the best for last: Here's an amazing cartoon showing the woeful Wednesday putting a black wreath onto her doll house! How perfect!

Thank you all for reading this review! It's a great book that I will be visiting over and over!

-Ara

*Cartoon images © Tee and Charles Addams Foundation / Courtesy Pomegranate Communications

16 comments:

  1. Ara what a brilliant resource for you and the Addams Family. I look forward to seeing your new creations that are inspired by the book..xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous Ara I am so pleased for you.

    Debie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review Ara- makes me want to buy it just to see all the awesome cartoons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, this may be a duplicate, so if it is, just delete it! Seems blogger is having some comment issues!!

    Kudos, Ara! I am so happy for you!! This looks like a very interesting book to have!

    ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh what a honor.

    And what a fab looking book....love those cartoons.

    Seems like it is a great resource for you as well. Any pics of Cleo lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations for being chosen to write a review! What an honor. I never knew the TV series was based on a book! I'll look forward to seeing the book!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great fun for you. Your Morticia looks quite pleased, too. :)

    Cia

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great review, Ara. You are indeed a perfect critique. Those pictures that you chose are perfect! And like Debbie, I want to see all your creations inspired by the book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a honor Ara...
    Congratulations !!
    x Marja

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool-looking book and I can't think of a better person to review it than yourself! What a tremendous resource! And I can see you doing a FANTASTIC job with Morticia's chair!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful review you have given Ara. And, how cool to get a complimentary copy.

    I actually remember that last cartoon from my childhood. ;)


    Thanks for stopping by my blog and your kind words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucky you! It looks like an amazing book. I should go to buy a copy... Thanks for posting this :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I ordered a copy. I love your Addams Family Mansion and can't wait to see what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ara! Just wanted to let you know I sent an email to you at your gmail address. I don't know how often you check it, or whether you delete emails from unknown recipients (as I sometimes do).

    I love that picture of Wednesday, by the way. I never knew she had a dollhouse! I always thought she was a pretty cool little girl, though, so I guess it figures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG, sorry Ara, I have to hijack the box just to say hi to Belle! Hi, Belle, WHERE have you been ??!!?? :) I've missed you!

    Ok, Ara back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've won a Wicked Blog Award 2010 prize! See my latest entry.

    Congratulations!

    / L

    ReplyDelete